Google Ads finance and are a sponsor of World Articles in Ear, Nose and Throat, and ENT USA Websites. WAENT, ENT USA, Cumberland Otolaryngology or Dr Kevin Kavanagh, MD do not endorse, recommend, refer to, or are responsible for the advertisements or for the content or claims made in the advertisements.
The following categories of articles and papers may be submitted to the Online Journal.
The World Articles in Ear, Nose and Throat is a professional journal in the medical specialty of Otolaryngology which strives to bring easy access and dissemination of interesting cases and substantive research from around the world. Submission to the video depository are approved on an "appropriate" or "not appropriate" basis. These submissions are highly polished video or Flash presentations developed as patient or professional educational aids by industry.
Educational Videos from Industry
1) Post aural Chondromyxoid Fibroma: a case report Dr. Singh G and Dr Vaidya S. Ujjain, India
2) The Enigma of Rhinosporidiosis Dr. Gupta R and Dr. Vaidya S. Ujjain, India
3) Chloramphenicol Drug Reaction Dr. Singh G. and Dr. Vaidya S. Ujjain, India
Surgery Videos -- Reviewed and Submitted from Otolaryngologists
1) Stapedectomy after Tympanoplasty - Submitted by Dr Kolhapur Watve. https://youtu.be/_6Fw53ejQY4
2) Stapedectomy - Restricted Oval Window Access - Submitted by Dr Jayant Watve. https://youtu.be/tLWGSnoYjPk
3) Stapedectomy Using a Piston Prosthesis - Submitted by Dr Jayant Watve. https://youtu.be/qrZhx3oznZQ
4) Osssiculoplasty for Ossicular Discontinuity - Submitted by Dr Jayant Watve https://youtu.be/Ya4zjTVl1gM
5) Disarticulated Incudostapedial Joint Repair – Submitted by Jayant K. Watve. https://youtu.be/ZEnGyRD4Dos
6) Ear Tube (Myringotomy) Surgery https://youtu.be/wwumHad64_I
7) Fat Plug Myrnigoplasty - Submitted by Dr Vikas Sinha https://youtu.be/Ay-Iwgz4qxE
8) Removal of Zygomatic Air Cells – Submitted by Rahul Gupta, Purvi Patel & R.G.Aiyer. https://youtu.be/y-xB23g0mKg
9) Revision Mastoidectomy-Inadequate Removal of Sinodural Cells – Submitted by Rahul Gupta, Purvi Patel & R.G.Aiyer. https://youtu.be/UDcydpVqCE4
10) Facial Ridge - Revision Mastoidectomy -- Submitted by Rahul Gupta, Purvi Patel & R.G.Aiyer. https://youtu.be/2viTewdKZvU
11) Auricular Reconstruction for Microtia - Submitted by Dr Milan Stankovic. https://youtu.be/LH3YMshLoKw
12) Calcium Dobesilate as Wax Solvent - Submitted by Dr Vikas Sinha. https://youtu.be/gsnBvh2Cnfs
1) True Vocal Cord Polyp Removal with Mucosal Flap Reconstruction https://youtu.be/WedrjEYyzig
2) Direct Laryngoscopy Laryngeal Polyp Removal – Submitted by Dr. Jayant K. Watve. https://youtu.be/Hxe_6T5jy6s
3) Laser Resection of T1 Larynx Cancer - Submitted by Dr Manuel Oliva Domínguez & Dr Jorge Roquette Gaona. https://youtu.be/EmaQZ2Yl69Q
4) Biopsy of a T2 Glottic Carcinoma of the Larynx https://youtu.be/cl-zlC59VZ0
5) Biopsy of a T2 Supraglottic Carcinoma of the Larynx https://youtu.be/Iig3F4CC4VE
6) Glottic Foreign Body – submitted by Kothari Vijay https://youtu.be/xbE1mnLOLFI
7) Removal of Laryngeal Papilloma – Submitted by Satheesh Kumar Bhandary & Vadisha Srinivas Bhat https://youtu.be/ROU3CaC88uQ
8) Management of Puberphonia - Operation - Pre and Post Op Voice – Submitted by Dr. Jayant Watve.
Head & Neck Surgery
1) Gillie's Reduction of Zygomaticomaxillary Complex (ZMC) Fracture – Submitted by Jayant K. Watve https://youtu.be/5MsvCTXfhKI
2) Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy - Coblation Technique https://youtu.be/dX6vNzUzIB0
3) Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy - Wire-Scalpel-Snare Technique https://youtu.be/J0neFX7q3A0
4) Laser Treatment of Oral Submucous Fibrosis - Submitted by Viral A. Chhaya, Vikas Sinha, Rajendrasinh Rathor, Niral Modi, Rashmi G.S., Vishal Parmar & Rutvi Chhaya. https://youtu.be/OLiHz5QilcY
5) Nasal Labial Cyst Excision - Submitted by Vikas Sinha, Viral A. Chhaya, Niral Modi, Dilavar S. Barot, Rahul Patel, Parin Patel, Swapna Patil, Vishal Parmar & Pashanth C.D. https://youtu.be/V00ErG4istM
6) Plunging Ranula – Surgery by Marsupialization – Submitted by Vikas Sinha, Viral A. Chhaya, Jay Dave, Parin Patel, Prashanth C.D., Nikhil Gupta, Kapil, Deepanshu Gurnani, Toral Patel, Nehal Patel, Dilavar Barot, Niral Modi & Hiten Maniyar. https://youtu.be/rtR0NcI7_yk
7) Technique of Parathyroid Preservation in Thyroid Surgery - Submitted by Dr Madan Kapre. https://youtu.be/YgsQJS03adU
Sinus, Nasal Cavity & Lacrimal Duct Surgery
1) Endoscopic Dacrocystorhinostomy - Submitted by Dr Vikas Sinha. https://youtu.be/V2UvXi1V47s
2) Translumination of the Sinuses – Intraoperative – Submitted by Shrinivas Shripatrao Chavan, Sunil D.Deshmukh, Vasant G. Pawar, Vaibhav G. Kirpan, Smita W Khobragade, Kaustubh Sarvade & Dasharath M Kothule. https://youtu.be/fv_0zvb368I
3) Drainage of Sphenoid Sinus Mucocele Presenting With Unilateral Visual Impairment – Submitted by Caner Sahin. https://youtu.be/26Lq3GJYTTM
4) Ethmoid Mucocele Drainage - Submitted by Dr. Sudhakar Vaidya. https://youtu.be/4YwHnENGNtw
5) Drainage of Maxillary and Ethmoid Aspergillus Sinusitis – Submitted by Shrinivas Shripatrao Chavan, Sunil D.Deshmukh, Vasant G. Pawar, Vaibhav G. Kirpan, Smita W Khobragade, Kaustubh Sarvade & Dasharath M Kothule. https://youtu.be/dq3Ueu8xDEA
6) Drainage of Frontal Sinus Mucocele – Submitted by Shrinivas Shripatrao Chavan, Sunil D.Deshmukh, Vasant G. Pawar, Vaibhav G. Kirpan, Smita W Khobragade, Kaustubh Sarvade & Dasharath M Kothule. https://youtu.be/TB_WPLNQRxY
7) Drainage of Subperiosteal Orbital Abscess – Submitted by Shrinivas Shripatrao Chavan, Sunil D.Deshmukh, Vasant G. Pawar, Vaibhav G. Kirpan, Smita W Khobragade, Kaustubh Sarvade & Dasharath M Kothule. https://youtu.be/G1w8NpQucNE
8) Choanal Atresia - Corrective Surgery Using Hegar's Dilators – submitted by Vikas Sinha*, Niral Modi, Viral A. Chhaya, Vishal Parmar, Parin Patel, Swapna Patil, Prashanth C.D., Jay Dave, Kapil, Nikhil Gupta, Deepanshu Gurnani, Dilavar A. Barot & Hiten Maniyar. https://youtu.be/0NOLGTskRuA
9) Young's Procedure - Modified (For Atrophic Rhinitis) - Submitted by Dr Vikas Sinha https://youtu.be/1Jp93T0HS3k
6) Nasal Myiasis – Submitted by Rupender K. Ranga & S.P.S. Yadau. https://youtu.be/nxPY8zUF8B4
10) Endoscopic Removal of Intranasal Leaches – Submitted by J.S. Bhandari. https://youtu.be/sSCdpuNeCRY
11) Inverted Papilloma – Submitted by Shrinivas S. Chavan, Sunil Deshmukh, Vasant Pawar, Kaustabh Sarvade, Vaibhav Kirpan, N.R Kumbhakarna & Mangala Sonavani.
12) Capillary Hemangioma – Submitted by Shrinivas S. Chavan, Sunil Deshmukh, Vasant Pawar, Kaustabh Sarvade, Vaibhav Kirpan, N.R Kumbhakarna & Mangala Sonavani. https://youtu.be/UfeETbUn5WQ
13) Rhinophyma – Excision by Diode Laser – Submitted by Satheesh Kumar Bhandary, MS, DLO & Vadisha Srinivas Bhat MS, DNB. https://youtu.be/ZnNGBqIOPaA
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
1) Nasal Bone Fracture Reduction Submitted By Vikas Sinha, Viral A Chhaya, Rahul Patel, Dilave A. Barot, Niral Modi, Hiten Maniyar, Parin Patel, Swapna Patil, Vishal Parmar, Prashath C.D & Jay Dave. https://youtu.be/h34G6ssHwKA
2) Tip Rhinoplasty - Columellar Strut & Transdome Sutures – Submitted by Vikas Sinha, Viral A. Chhaya, Dilavar A. Barot, Keyur Mehta, Parin Patel, Swapna Patil, Prashanth C.D., Vishal Parmar & Hiten Maniyar. https://youtu.be/ti7CcAT7lpE
Fiberoptic Endoscopic Videos
1) Large Laryngeal Polyps https://youtu.be/0zvtg_IHxrE
2) True Vocal Cord Paralysis https://youtu.be/anYGBc_aE94
3) Fungal Laryngitis - Submitted by Drs. Rupender K. Ranga & S.P.S. Yadau. https://youtu.be/65UyH99ChpY
4) Palatal Myoclonus - Submitted by Dr Sudhakar Vaidya. https://youtu.be/TVOu1sUEiqo
The World Articles in Ear, Nose and Throat is a professional journal in the medical specialty of Otolaryngology which strives to bring easy access and dissemination of interesting cases and substantive research from around the world. Articles submitted to WAENT are published on the internet soon after they are approved. Submission of pertinent videos are encouraged.
Articles in the WAENT Archives are posted until the Journals Volume is Closed. Thus, some articles in the current issue will be posted but the issue will be incomplete until the closure date - June 30, 2013.
Volume 7(1) 2021:
Betahistine Helps Turkey Oncologist with His Meniere's Symptoms.
Meniere's disease is recognized as the idiopathic form of recurrent inner ear disease with the triad of fluctuating hearing loss, tinnitus and vertigo (1). There is no generally accepted tratment strategy for the disease. Betahistine dihydrochloride is recommended as first choice medical treatment and in case of failure in medical treatment and if hearing is worth saving, endolymphatic shunt surgery can be employed (2). I am a 36 year-old-pediatric oncologist and I have been followed with the diagnosis of Meniere's disease for 13 years. At the time of diagnosis I had serious vertigo attacks lasting 4-24 hours, tinnitus and bilateral hearing loss at low frequencies. After 6 months treatment of betahistine dihydrochloride and low-salt diet, the hearing loss was relieved. For 9 years I have experienced 1-2 vertigo attacks per year which were controlled with diphenhydramine and diuretics in acute attack and betahistine dihydrochloride three 16 mg at least 3 months.
For the last four years I have started myself a schedule consisting of betahistine dihydrochloride 8 mg/day resembling metronomic therapy which is a well-known practice in cancer treatment. I have experienced no vertigo attacks, nor have tinnitus or hearing difficulty for 4 years. All audiometric test results made once a year were normal during this period. No side effects developed related with the medication. Betahistine dihydrochloride is an orally administered, centrally acting histamine H1 receptor agonist with partial H3 antagonistic activity. It was clinically studied and is still used mainly as a vasodilator for the treatment of Meniere's disease (3). Its proposed mode of action is to cause vasodilation in ischemic areas of the stria vascularis and dark cells in the areas implicated in the pathogenesis of Meniere's disease (4). Strupp et al. (5) have found that the number of attacks after 12 months was significantly lower in the high dosage group (48 mg tid, n=62) than in the low dosage group (16 mg tid, n=21, 24 mg, n=29) with betahistine dihydrochloride therapy. Taking the medication in a metronomic fashion may regulate the circulation in affected areas continuously. No serious adverse effects was reported with long-term or high dose administration of betahistine dihydrochloride. Prospective clinical studies with adequate numbers of patients will reveal the efficiency of this metronomic therapy with continuous low-dose betahistine dihydrochloride in treatment of Menière's disease.
1. Minor LB, Schessel DA, Carey JP. Ménière's disease. Curr Opin Neurol. 2004 Feb;17(1):9-16. View Abstract
2. Westhofen M. [Article in German] [Menière's disease : evidence and controversies] HNO. 2009 May;57(5):446-54. View Abstract
3. Barak N. Betahistine: what's new on the agenda? Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2008 May;17(5):795-804. View Abstract
4. Phillips JS, Prinsley PR. Prescribing practices for Betahistine. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2008 Apr;65(4):470-1. Epub 2008 Feb 12. View Abstract
5. Strupp M, Hupert D, Frenzel C, Wagner J, Hahn A, Jahn K, Zingler VC, Mansmann U, Brandt T. Long-term prophylactic treatment of attacks of vertigo in Menière's disease--comparison of a high with a low dosage of betahistine in an open trial. Acta Otolaryngol. 2008 May;128(5):520-4. View Abstract
Chief of Pediatric Oncology Unit
Diyarbakir Children's Diseases Hospital